1. What’s your name and title, what do you do day-to-day in 20 words or fewer?
Jamie Watkins, Director & COO
I enable our team to create industry-leading retention strategies for e-commerce brands!
2. At Underground eCom you help drive revenue using data-driven email marketing strategies. Can you give us a success story for a D2C brand you’ve worked with. Eg what was the problem? what did you do? what were the results?
Happy Hippo is a client we have worked with for over 2 years now. When they first came to us they had an incredible product, brand loyalty, but a very basic retention marketing system.
Since working together, we have set up repeat and subscription flows that work for THEIR brand, as well as a much more effective flow system for generating first purchases.
We have since generated $6.5M in retention marketing revenue.
3. You specialise in email marketing – what piece of advice would you give to DTC brands who want to improve this area of their business?
Stop thinking about Email as your WHOLE retention marketing strategy- instead think about it as your foundation.
Email will likely be the main revenue driver for increasing repeat purchases and CLTV of customers. However there are now major supporting channels that play a vital role in maximising customer retention beyond just email alone. Think SMS, Messenger, Subscription Tools, Whatsapp and even Direct Mail!
4. What do you think the biggest challenges facing eCommerce/D2C businesses will be over the next 12-18 months?
Control of data – Changes to IOS, and the disappearance of 3rd party data had already had a huge effect on CAC and profitability for ecom businesses.
5. Complete this sentence – DTC brands that survive and thrive in 2023 will …
Have a clear understanding of their CLTV alongside an effective system in place for generating repeat purchases.
6. Name three D2C brands that are killing it and whom you recommend others to emulate/learn from.
Chilly’s – B Corp company that has done an amazing job establishing themselves as market leaders
ThruDark– Amazing growth trajectory over the last 2 years after building an incredibly loyal customer base.
Pom Pom London– Strong across all areas -paid ads, organic, socials and Email / Retention-Fearless in trying new channels to grow!